The Stabiliser herd at Llanychan Farms near Ruthin in North Wales was established when a Multiplier contract was agreed with the Stabiliser Cattle Company 13 years ago in 2000. The objective was to produce the ideal Suckler Cow.
The Stabiliser concept is the crossing of four breeds of cattle, Red Angus, Hereford, Simental and Gelbvieh, to produce a beef breeding cow with the required traits including hybrid vigour. Composit cattle breeding has been the basis of beef breeding in USA for over 30 years.
The decision to adopt the Stabiliser has been a sound one. The cattle have performed as was anticipated when the Leachman Cattle Company of Colorado USA hosted a visit to their farms.
The Stabiliser has proved to have the following qualities:
- Easy calving, very seldom assisted.
- A medium sized cow with low maintenance.
- Small calves that grow quickly.
- Very docile, easy to handle.
- Very fertile, both male and female, few barrens.
- 80% females calve within 4 weeks.
- Shorter gestation period
- Heifers calve at two years of age.
- Lower production costs, more profit.
- Hybrid Vigour.